- Missing My Posts? August 23, 2014
- (no title) August 4, 2014
- I have migrated!! August 3, 2014
- Monthly Book Round-up: July 2014 August 1, 2014
- Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children | Book Review July 31, 2014
Please visit www.booksaremything.com to continue following my blog!
It occurred to me yesterday that I hadn’t added any kind of yearly update to my June wrap-up, even though we are halfway through the year. So I decided to put something quick together, if for no other reason than the fact that HEY, I’VE BEEN BLOGGING FOR A SOLID SIX MONTHS, and I want to document my progress, d*mnit.
50 52 books for the year. I really had no idea how much reading I normally get done, so I aimed low.
2) Post at least 3x a week.
3) Complete at least 4 series to earn the Silver badge in the Read. Sleep. Repeat. 2014 Series Challenge.
4) Knock out some books on my TBR shelf.
5) Find/Join a book club.
1) I’ve noticed that for some reason my 2014 Reading Challenge Goodreads widget does not update as I mark books read, so it can be misleading depending on when the last time I updated it was. As of right now (it’s July 3rd, this post will be going up on the 6th), I’m at 42 books read for the year. Clearly I will meet my goal. I figure I’ll keep bumping it up, 10 books at a time, and see where I end up at the end of the year. If I can get to about 80, I’ll be mighty proud of myself. It should be noted that I have read SO MANY MORE books so far this year than is normal, and I attribute that to starting this blog and being introduced to so many awesome books I had never heard of before. Love it.
2) As I look back at the last few months of my blogging calendar (I have a written calendar of each post that goes up, I’m one of those old-school organizing people), most of my weeks have had 4+ posts. AWESOME. I’m still keeping my minimum to 3, but the fact that I’ve maintained 4 each week without burning out is pretty sweet, and I’m PROUD of it. Not to mention I’ve got some awesome bloggy things in the plans for the near future.
3) So far I have completed the first two books of the Splintered trilogy (anxiously awaiting Ensnared to come out next year!), and the Divergent trilogy. So I’m halfway there. HOWEVER, I have set myself up to do some serious series binge reading in the coming months. Right now I’m reading the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, which I’m already blowing through. I have plans to read the first two Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children with Ashley from Down The Book Hole this month and next month. I have the gloriously beautiful Caster Chronicles set sitting on my shelf, begging to be read (bought for a great deal the other week at Books-A-Million). And finally, I have all but the latest Song of Ice and Fire books on audio, recently given to me by a friend, that I plan to start listening to this coming week!! I’ll probably be able to get the last one at the library. Those alone will send me over my goal, not to mention that I picked up the first book of The Grisha trilogy and the first book of The Lunar Chronicles recently. So yeah, you guys are in for a deluge of book series in the coming months!
4) Ha. Ha. Ha. Don’t get me wrong, I have knocked out some of the books on my TBR shelf, especially with my Lost or Forgotten series. BUT, I have also added a CRAP TON of books to that shelf. The original agreement with my fiance about the number of unread books I own has completely gone out the window at this point – I’m surprised he hasn’t freaked out on me about yet, lol. It’s truthfully gotten super out of control though, so I’m going to keep working on this as best I can.
5) I have joined a pretty fun sci-fi/fantasy book club since moving! I’ve only been a part of it for 2 months, but I really enjoy the discussions and it’s been fun slowing getting to know the people there.
Overall I think I am doing GREAT at my yearly goals. They were pretty simple, with a low bar, because I didn’t want to discourage myself. How have you been doing with your yearly goals??
Some women collect shoes, others collect purses. I collect books.
When You Just Need Spoiler-Free Reviews In A Pinch
“Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food” – Hippocrates
musings of a teacher, parent, and life-long learner
“Books to the ceiling, Books to the sky, My pile of books is a mile high. How I love them! How I need them! I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.” - Arnold Lobel
Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting - Edmund Burke
A topnotch WordPress.com site
What's the dirt on soil? Find out here.